Welcome to Teen Court!
This website will help you find all the information you need about Teen Court. Currently, our program is
running in Brooke County, West Virginia. We would love to expand into Hancock County, West Virginia someday.
What is Teen
Teen Court is...
- A program run by youth for youth.
- For volunteer youth who want to learn more about the justice system and be a part of it while earning community service
- An alternative to the traditional juvenile justice system.
- For first time youth offenders to make amends for their mistake without fines or long-term consequences.
- A way for everyone involved to give something back to the community.
- Teen Court is a legally-binding system of justice that gives young offenders an opportunity to be heard by their peers and make
restitution for their offenses through community service, educational classes, and service back to the Teen Court program.
- Teen Court consists of prosecuting attorneys, defense attorneys, bailiffs, and jury members who are all teens!
We are always looking for ways to grow our program, and one of the best is to recruit new volunteers.
Below is a list to give you an idea of who we are looking for.
- Youth in grades 7th – 12th from that want to help make a difference in the lives of their peers.
- Adult members of the Judiciary Community that would like to help mentor youth volunteers and/or serve as the Teen Court
- First time youth offenders in Brooke County, West Virginia who have committed a minor offense and been referred to the program by the
Brooke County Magistrate or Brooke County Juvenile Prosecutors.
- Interested community members who would like to help make this program a success by becoming a member of the Teen Court Advisory
* You must be a member of the WV State Bar Association to serve as Teen Court
Youth volunteers must complete the first 2 sections of the Online Training or attend a Training
Workshop to be eligiable to partcipate in Teen Court. Additionally, they must have permission from their parents to volunteer in the Teen Court Program. Please download the Teen Court
Volunteer Application and return it to the Teen Court Coordinator via drop-off, mail, or any night there is a hearing.